Saturday, May 5, 2012

Doilie Canvas Tote Bags

Wondering what to get your bridesmaids as thank you gifts? Or maybe you want to create a welcome package to out-of-state family members! I created the cutest totebags for my girls (and one for me of course!!!) to show them my appreciation for all their hard work!
Doilie Totebags
You can buy one of these at $20 each OR you can make your own for about $2 each! You decide! Here is how I did it and my DIY instructions to you:
Doilie Tote Bag DIY
 1. Buy some blank totes! I found the cheapest totes at www.cheaptotes.com. Only 99cents a bag for the "natural color cotton canvas" tote bags. 
2. Buy some fabric paint.  I used black and wish I would have used this fabric paint Spray seen here at Michael's (I dont remember the price, but it can't be more than $7-12) Instead I used a pump and....it did the job, but was much harder to manage the splatter effect on the tote. Spray NOT pump. Read instructions before using.

3. Buy Doilies. (you can use 1 doilie sheet to spray 2 totes, after that I found the doilie sheet got too soggy and would start to bleed through)

4. You also need:
- pins to pin down the doilie and monogram in place. 
- A monogram, I just printed letters out at a 200 point size on sturdy cardstock paper and cut out a stencil from them.
- Some cardboard or anything thick enough to prevent the paint to bleed from the front to the back of the tote.
5. WASH and DRY your totes before spraying. Place your thick cardboard or magazine INSIDE the tote so that the paint wont bleed through to the other side. Position and pin your doilie to your liking. Cover any area of the Totebag you do not want sprayed(like the handles for example) SPRAY your doilie. Continue until you have sprayed the doilie design onto all totes (this will give them time to dry before you spray the monogram). Once you're back to the first tote you sprayed, place thick carboard INSIDE the tote, position and pin your monogram. Cover all parts of the bag you do not want sprayed (this time the doilie image and the handles) and SPRAY. And you are DONE!

DIY Dolie Totes 
***important: when pinning, make sure the pin is not touching the tote. It should always rest completely on the stencil paper or doilie paper. Otherwise the figure of the pin could be spray painted onto your tote.

Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting a link to my shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice color bags! you can find your desired collection of canvas totebag in variety of colors at wholesale rates!

    ReplyDelete